Summer is coming (yay!) and with that comes family vacations and daytime outings with the kids… and the possibility of leaving your home vulnerable to the bad guys.
Turn up the heat on summertime burglaries with these simple security strategies (we’ve even given you some links to products and services to help you)…..
Home Security “Do’s & Don’ts”
- Never forget to lock doors and windows (especially during the Summer months). Studies show home robberies are most prevalent where homeowners have left doors or windows unlocked. For even greater security, upgrade to grade 1 or 2 deadbolts. Click here for more information: http://www.schlage.com/en/home/support/understand-product-options/functions-grades.htm
- Don’t leave extra keys under doormats or potted plants (or any other obvious outdoor location) where thieves could easily find them. Find an inconspicuous place. Here’s a great product to secure your extra key that you can mount in a hidden place: https://ddsecurity.com/product/169
- Invest in an alarm system using motion sensors. A study by Rutgers University proved that criminals avoid houses with professionally monitored alarm systems. This research also showed that the more houses with monitored alarms in a neighborhood, the safer the neighborhood. Placing home security signs around your home’s perimeter can deter criminals by letting them know that your house is being monitored 24/7. Choose a local home security company with a trusted service history: https://www.bayalarm.com/
- Install low cost cameras for the front door to monitor and upload video to the cloud: https://www.dropcam.com/store?gclid=CJn-746xisUCFcRgfgodVZ4AEA
- When going on vacation, set up a home automation system that turns lights on and off so your house always looks like someone is home. WEMO is a growing family of innovative, easy-to-use products that, via the internet, you can control your home electronics, power, water, and Wi-Fi right from your smartphone or tablet. It is easy to set up and control with your mobile device – check it out here: http://www.belkin.com/us/F7C030-Belkin/p/P-F7C030/
- Don’t put your name on your mailbox. It’s very easy for a thief to find your phone number online and then call to see if you’re home.
- Don’t put empty boxes that once contained high value purchases (such as flat screen televisions or computers) in your trash. Keep those boxes hidden in your garage until trash day – and then break the boxes down so that the labels can not be seen from the street before putting them out. To secure your outdoor patio flat screens TVs or to give an extra layer of security to your indoor TVs and other assets such as computers and laptops, check out our anti-theft products here: For flat screen TVs and other AV equipment click here: https://ddsecurity.com/category/2/A-V_Security. For computer security click here: https://ddsecurity.com/category/3/Computer_Locks