The turkey is a Thanksgiving tradition for families everywhere. After years of cooking your turkey the same way, you might be getting a little tired of the same old thing. Here is a delicious turkey recipe to change things up this Thanksgiving!
- 1 Large turkey
- 1 cup of kosher salt
- ½ cup of light brown sugar
- 1 gallon of vegetable stock
- 1 tablespoon of black peppercorns
- 1 ½ teaspoons of allspice berries
- 1 ½ teaspoons of chopped candied ginger
- 1 gallon of heavily iced water
- 1 red apple, sliced
- ½ onion, sliced
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 4 sprigs of rosemary
- 6 leaves of sage
- Canola Oil
Ahead of Time
- Thaw the turkey completely, beginning 2-3 days ahead of time.
- Combine the vegetable stock, salt, brown sugar, peppercorns, allspice berries, and candied ginger in a large stockpot over medium-high heat. Stir occasionally to dissolve the solids. Bring to a boil then remove from heat, cool to room temperature, and refrigerate.
- Combine the brine and the ice water in a 5-gallon bucket. Place the thawed turkey (without innards) breast side down in the brine. Cover and refrigerate for 8-16 hours, turning the turkey halfway through.
Cooking Instructions Day Of:
- Preheat the oven to 500°F
- Remove the turkey from the brine and rinse inside and out with cold water. Discard the brine.
- Place turkey on a roasting rack inside a half sheet pan and pat it dry with paper towels.
- Combine the apple, onion, cinnamon stick, and 1 cup of water in a microwave safe dish. Microwave on high for 5 minutes. Add them to the turkey’s cavity with the rosemary and sage. Tuck the wings underneath the body and coat the skin with Canola oil.
- Roast the turkey on the lowest level of the oven at 500°F for 30 minutes then reduce the oven temperature to 350°F for 2 more hours or until it reaches a safe internal temperature of 161°F.
- Let it sit, loosely covered for 15 minutes. Carve and enjoy!
Contact D&D by calling 800-453-4195 or by clicking here.